Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) Bali is located in the southern Badung area about 20 minutes from Kuta. It is one of populer Bali tourist destinations. That's very easy to access it from the Ngurah Rai Airport and hotels in Nusa Dua. Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) Bali cultural park is located in the hills of limestone and rock, exactly over the hill of Nusa Dua Pecatu-Badung regency that about 40 kilometers south of Denpasar City Bali.
Garuda Wisnu Kencana designed and built by Nyoman Nuarta, one of Indonesia’s foremost modern sculptor, the Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue or GWK and its pedestal building will be standing 150 meters tall with its wings span 64 meters across. It is made from more than 4000 tons of copper and brass, the statue is picturing Lord Wisnu, as the source of wisdom, riding on the back of the mythical bird Garuda as the manifestation of conscience toward Amerta, the perennial goodness.
The statue and its pedestal will be surrounded by more than 240 hectares cultural park which was once an abandoned and unproductive limestone quarry. The cultural park will provide attractions for both local and foreign visitors with supporting facilities such as Lotus Pond, Festival Park, Amphitheater, Street Theater, Exhibition Hall, as well as Jendela Bali, The Panoramic Resto and souvenir shop. At present time, the statue of Wisnu, the statue of Garuda, and the hands of Wisnu have been placed temporarily in three different plazas within the park.
Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) Cultural Park is intended to educate, especially the young generations about the importance of preserving and cultivating world’s cultural heritage.
Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) Facilities :
- Lotus Pond surrounded by stone pillars and rock background Garuda bird statue's head with a capacity of 7500 people made the area is ideal for a variety of grand performances, both national / international.
- Plaza Wisnu art shop selling various Balinese handicrafts.
- Exhibition Hall space to hold exhibitions.
- Amphitheatre with a capacity of 800 seats and first-class acoustic arrangement is performance art.
- Street Theatre is an outdoor stage for music concerts, fashion shows and other performances.
- Jendela Bali Restaurant with panoramic of Jimbaran Beach.